Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Halifax

Summer is finally here! This year my family and I decided to go on a roadtrip across Canada. On the first day of my summer vacation, I packed my bags and we started to drive to Halifax. After a long drive we finally reached Halifax, which is located at 44°38'N and 63 °35'W.When I first arrived in Halifax, I was amazed about how different it was from my hometown of St.Catharines. To start off with, Halifax has a greater population and population density than St. Catharines, with a total population of 372,858 and a population density of 67.9/km². It makes St. Catharines look like a village!  By the time we checked into our hotel, it was late in the evening. We decided to spend our first night on a tourism boat to see the beautiful scenic view of the city from the Halifax harbour. We arrived at  Halifax Harbour and got on our boat.  Halifax harbour is a huge harbour that separates Halifax from Dartmouth and it's very important to Halifax. The city of Halifax was built around the Halifax harbour and most people in Halifax make their living from fishing in the Halifax harbour. From our boat, I had a great view of Halifax. Halifax is located in the Halifax Peninsula and off the coast of Halifax is the Halifax Harbour. From the boat, I could see Downtown Halifax,farms near the coast where the soil is richer and I also caught a glimpse of Kejimkujik National Park, which is the nearest national park to Halifax. On the boat, I was freezing cold because I was just wearing my T-shirt and shorts. Halifax is in the Atlantic Maritime ecozone, so they have very cool  summers and winters and lots of precipitation. The yearly amount of precipitation for Halifax is 1474mm. So I learned by lesson that night, to always bring a spare sweater, especially in an Atlantic Maritime ecozone.

When I woke up the next day, I looked and out my window and saw fog looming over the Halifax harbour. This is common in Halifax since it is located near where the Warm Gulf current and the Labrador current meet. When the two currents meet, generally fog appears.After a huge breakfast, my family and I decided to take a tour of the city. During the tour, I was able to see the major industries and landmarks in Halifax.  Halifax Harbour is the hotspot for fishing in Halifax and most people in Halifax do fishing for a living. People fish various types of fish, such as shellfish, cod, herring, shrimp, haddock, crab and redfish. Also, Halifax is one of two towns in Nova Scoatia where there is a major manufacturing site in the city. Many items are manufactured in Halfiax, such as processed food, paper and paper products, transportation equipment, wood products, and iron and steel. Also, I saw many landmarks exclusively to Halifax. To start off with, I saw the Citadel National Historic Site, which is a Miltary Museum and learned many new facts about Canada's miltary and had a great view of downtown Halifax. Next, I saw the beautiful Halifax Gardens, which was inspired by Queen Victoria herself. Additionally, I saw the H.M.C.S Sackville, which was a memorial for World War 2 soliders and I saw the historic site of Pier 21 and paid tribute to all of the Immigrants who arrived at Pier 21 a long time ago. If you were to take a tour of Halifax, I recommend that you would see the Citadel National Historic Site because it shows a great detail of Canada's Miltary experience and it is exculsive to Halifax. After the tour, my family and I decided to go to a restaurant named the 5 Fishermen.The restaurant served seafood, and I have never had seafood before in my lifetime, but  after eating at that restaurant, I fell in love with seafood! Sadly, after that day was over, I had to leave Halifax. I left Halifax knowing that I made the most out of my visit there.

No comments:

Post a Comment